For many people, recovery or treatment is actually started because someone they love has detached, threatened to leave, or been hurt in ways that motivate change. But there’s often little direct attention to relationship difficulties in recovery programs unless it includes structured couple or family therapy. This intense focus on personal accountability in recovery can lead to completely ignoring the other side of the story—relationships may have contributed to addiction and may be complicating recovery efforts. The perfect time to start rebuilding relationships with family and friends is in treatment. Committing to getting well means making important changes in your life.
Here at The Dawn Wellness Center and Rehab in Thailand, we offer a highly personalised addiction programme that seeks to meet the specific needs and personal aims of each of our clients. Located in stunning northern Thailand and staffed by an internationally-trained professional team, The Dawn is internationally accredited by ACCI. While it’s important to be accountable for the mistakes you have made, beating yourself up over them isn’t going to change the past, and it could very well derail your future.
Remember the Disease is Not the Person
As such, it is crucial that individuals seeking treatment remain committed to their healing process. While admitting to substance abuse can be liberating, it can also be challenging for some individuals who fear judgment or relationships in recovery lack self-awareness. However, acknowledging that you have a problem is essential as it provides an opportunity for you to seek help by exploring various treatment options such as therapy or medication-assisted treatment.
- Other research pinpoints the values of cognitive behavioral therapy for relapse prevention, as it helps people change negative thinking patterns and develop good coping skills.
- You can learn to create a strong foundation for positive, lasting relationships.
- The nature of addiction erodes trust in progressively damaging ways.
In recovery, you can learn healthy ways to cope with stress, regulate your emotions, deal with triggers, build self-esteem, address mental health conditions and foster healthier relationships. Approaching relationships with https://ecosoberhouse.com/ a healthy mindset can help you maintain your sobriety and choose romantic partners who respect your recovery. Honest communication is crucial to any relationship, but it is especially essential for individuals in recovery.
Drug and Alcohol Treatment and Recovery: the Benefits of Veganism
This disease has the potential to interfere with normal family life and routines. A person living with an addiction may behave erratically, depending on whether they are sober, drunk, high, or recovering from a time when they were drinking or using drugs. When one person in the family develops a substance abuse issue, it doesn’t solely affect them.
- Handling the challenges of addiction without any personalized self-care may lead to relapse or treatment burnout.
- Prioritizing your personal growth prevents you from measuring your worth in another person or using a relationship to cope with challenges.
- Focus on the activities that you may have been absent for whether it was birthday parties, anniversary dinners, school activities, or just regular get togethers with friends, challenge yourself to be more present.